Welcome to TonawandasHistory.org
Historical Society of the Tonawandas
Canal Fest Week...
- Thursday, July 17, 2014, 6:00-10:00 P.M.
- There will be a VINTAGE FIRE TRUCK MUSTER held from Main and Broad Streets, Tonawanda, NY, to, Webster and Goundry Streets, North Tonawanda, NY.
- Antique fire apparatus shown will include the Historical Society of the Tonawandas' restored 1872 fire pumper.
- Saturday, July 19, 9:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.
- Sunday, July 20, 10:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.
- Clinton Park, at Clinton and Broad Streets, Tonawanda, NY.
On the lawn of our 1829 log house!
- Historical Society of the Tonawandas' Benjamin Long Homestead
- Sika Flex' "Quick & Dirty" Boat Building Contest, all week.
- Float or sink "Races" 6:00 P.M. Saturday, July 19.
- "Masters of the Chainsaw". Logs chainsawed into art. Tuesday through Saturday.
Benjamin Long Homestead, built 1829
CALLING ALL DOCENTS
|The Homestead will be open Sundays, from May 25 through Aug. 31 and Nov. 23 through Dec. 21 from 1 to 4 PM. Docents are needed to guide visitors through the house and tell the story of the Benjamin Long Family and their home. If you would be interested in assisting with this worthwhile task, please contact Carole Barnard at the Museum (694-7406). New recruits will be thoroughly oriented before being asked to do tours on their own. Please help. Many volunteers make the burden light.
Historical Society of the Tonawandas
A 501(c)3 nonprofit corporation. Donations and artifacts given are tax deductible.
An active membership!
Get our book...
- Maintain and operate two historic 19th century buildings, shown here, in Tonawanda, at the western gateway to the Erie Canal. Gateway Harbor Cam - Long Homestead can be see at top center.
- Present educational programs on the 2nd Wednesday of each month, September through June. Features historical topics of local interest, with audio-visuals, and knowledgeable public speakers. Calendar... Printable PDF schedule...
- Publish articles: Tonawanda News Do you remember? column; Lumber Shover printed newsletter mailed monthly to paid-up members; The Homesteaders news FREE to online subscribers.
- Collect, preserve, interpret, exhibit artifacts and records related to the history of the Tonawandas, the Erie Canal, Great Lakes shipping, Western New York, and the Niagara Region.
- Offer research assistance.
- Operate two book and gift shops, one at each historic site. Mail-orders accepted.
- Host annual 2-day Canal Fest Flea Market at Clinton Park.
- Member, Western Erie Canal Alliance, WECA.
- Volunteers needed at both locations. We train you. It's fun!
- Join Us!
Tonawanda Station, New York Central and Hudson River Railroad, built 1886
Museum and General Offices
113 Main Street, Tonawanda. Bounded by Main, Fletcher, and Grove Street.
- Where you now park is where trains used to run! Map... More...
- Museum Exhibits
- Wow! Artifacts Collection The Historical Society of the Tonawandas maintains a collection of over 20,000 artifacts relating to the history of the Twin Cities of Tonawanda and North Tonawanda. The collection catalog is currently being transferred into a computer database so that when you ask us a question, we can have rapid identification and retrieval of artifact information on any topic. This database is NOT currently available to you online, but may be, once completed.
- Research Library
- Photo File
- Genealogy Collection
- Start your search here! Call, Email, or come visit us. The Historical Society of the Tonawandas has thousands of references.
- Public Displays - Heritage Partners
Official Home: The Historical Society of the Tonawandas, Inc.
Museum and General Office: 113 Main Street, Tonawanda, NY, 14150-2129
(716) 694-7406 Email firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2013 Written authorization required. Contact Board of Trustees