Benjamin Long Homestead, built 1829
Historical Society of the Tonawandas
A 501(c)3 nonprofit corporation. Donations and artifacts given are tax deductible.
An active membership!
New Display at North Tonawanda Library: From Running Boards to Tail Fins
- Get our book...
- Maintain and operate two historic 19th century buildings, shown here, in Tonawanda, at the western gateway to the Erie Canal. Gateway Harbor Cam - Long Homestead can be see at top center.
- Present educational programs on the 2nd Wednesday of each month, September through June. Features historical topics of local interest, with audio-visuals, and knowledgeable public speakers. Calendar... Printable PDF schedule...
- Publish articles: Tonawanda News Do you remember? column; Lumber Shover printed newsletter mailed monthly to paid-up members; The Homesteaders news FREE to online subscribers.
- Collect, preserve, interpret, exhibit artifacts and records related to the history of the Tonawandas, the Erie Canal, Great Lakes shipping, Western New York, and the Niagara Region.
- Offer research assistance.
- Operate two book and gift shops, one at each historic site. Mail-orders accepted.
- Host annual 2-day Canal Fest Flea Market at Clinton Park.
- Member, Western Erie Canal Alliance, WECA.
- Volunteers needed at both locations. We train you. It's fun!
- Join Us!
Tonawanda Station, New York Central and Hudson River Railroad, built 1886
Museum and General Offices
113 Main Street, Tonawanda. Bounded by Main, Fletcher, and Grove Street.
- Where you now park is where trains used to run! Map... More...
- Museum Exhibits
- Wow! Artifacts Collection The Historical Society of the Tonawandas maintains a collection of over 20,000 artifacts relating to the history of the Twin Cities of Tonawanda and North Tonawanda. The collection catalog is currently being transferred into a computer database so that when you ask us a question, we can have rapid identification and retrieval of artifact information on any topic. This database is NOT currently available to you online, but may be, once completed.
- Research Library
- Photo File
- Genealogy Collection
- Start your search here! Call, Email, or come visit us. The Historical Society of the Tonawandas has thousands of references.
- Public Displays - Heritage Partners